travel writing

After yesterday's Parisian post, I've noticed a pattern developing in the books I've bought lately..
You wouldn't think that I had only been back from India a couple of weeks; I'm already itching to go away again. At least I can read about someone else's travels for now.

books

At the moment I'm still reading a copy of City of Djinns that I picked up in India, but I can't wait to start reading these Penguin Great Journey books! I found them at Tynemouth flea market and feel in love with their covers. The two I'm especially excited for are Mark Twain (because I love him) and Dampier (because I love pirates). For one of my final essays at uni I wrote about Victorian pirate (and adventure) novels, and had to do a lot of reading of famous pirate stories like Treasure Island, as well as some really old out of print texts. I did love it but there really is only so many times you can reread Stevenson and since handing in my final essays for uni, I haven't picked up a pirate story.. I think I'm ready to end my hiatus now though.
I always a bit a of a strange little girl; I was much more interested in the daring adventures of swashbuckling buccaneers than princesses.


There are a few things that are in the maybe stage of planning but I should have another trip lined up soon to satisfy my wanderlust. More on that when I have things confirmed!

Are you reading anything interesting at the moment?

11 comments

  1. such lovely books -- hopefully lovely reads too!
    i've finally gotten around to reading extremely loud & incredibly close. which i adore! it's an easy, beautiful, lyrical, heartbreaking read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thar's on my list of books to read! A friend of mine has just recommended my Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece, she said that's a brilliant read! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous of those books!! They look so beautiful, not to mention old-style pirates are pretty much the greatest :D
    I'm finally getting around to reading some Charles Dickens, but because I'm still at uni more reading isn't exactly the best way to relax... One day though! Rhi xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. IM READING THE PARISIENNE :)

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, yes, I'm reading Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (who you might know as The Bloggess). It's hilarious and making me feel better about all of my issues, because wow. Girlfriend has had a strange life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Penguin book covers are stunning! I have to admit I haven't read one book this year. I'm really hoping that changes this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love travel books:) I've just finished the Hunger Games trilogy (which is really great) and I'm reading Zadie Smith's On Beauty at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! These look lovely! Unfortunately, I'm not reading anything exciting, but after school I will definitely be able to change that :) I have such a long reading list ahead of me.

    PS. I really, really love your blog!!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have been in a bit of a reading pattern as of late - environmental non-fiction...slightly less glamourous than travel writing but I have read "Eating Animals" by Jonathon Safran Foer and "This Crazy Time" by Tzeporah Berman. I recommend both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look amazing! I absolutely adore the covers. I've been really wanting to go to India ever since you went :) xx

    ReplyDelete

© Raspberry Kitsch - a North East Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle blog

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blog Design Created by pipdig